You have reached the Word and Life! auxiliary site
—"Thoughtful Christians in search of mature faith"
Please visit our main web page, www.wordandlife.us.
Who are we?
Word and Life is an adult Faith Community based in Santa Barbara, California, founded and guided by a group of Catholic laypersons. In an atmosphere of study, song, prayer, friendship, and dialogue the community provides sacred space for all those who hunger and thirst for a deeper relationship with God and others.
In the spirit of the Gospels, we support:
- Ongoing transformation of the Church in dialogue with an ever-changing world
- Exploration of God’s immanent Presence in creation
- Dialogue with other disciplines, cultures, and faith traditions in a spirit of appreciation and cooperation
- Living in harmony with the earth and all life as gifts from God
We are committed to these core principles:
- The teaching of Jesus is central to our lives.
- Healthy spirituality assumes an ongoing dialogue between my story, our story, and God’s story.
- Hospitality is a Gospel value of our community.
- The collective wisdom of the community depends on the contributions of every member.
- Justice is essential in cultivating peace.
- All of creation participates in and manifests the divine.
- Prayer animates and sustains our spiritual lives.
- Worship and Ritual are important expressions of our collective identity.
Would you like to see and hear more?
If you are an adult with an inquisitive mind, open to the deeper values of spirituality found in the Christian/Catholic tradition (regardless of your current church affiliation or possible degree of alienation), and willing to consider and discuss some of the most challenging questions that humans face, please consider coming as an observer to a Word and Life meeting. We are located in Santa Barbara, California.